Week 12

Women's comics

For this class, I read "This One Summer", and I absolutely loved it.
I mentioned in class that I loved how subtle the book was as the story went on. In comics, I feel that we all expect grand gestures and big, dramatic sequences. "This One Summer" was very much realistic, relatable, and hard hitting.
The way that the book was organized was masterful as well, some spreads had a great deal of breasting space, while the aritst, Jillian Tamaki, could work in beautiful realistic nature landscapes.
It depicted the two girls, Rose and Windy, as real pre-teens.
This might be a simple comment to make, but I also loved how they went with a white/purple color palette for the line art. It made the book a lot more light hearted and playful, if it was all black and white, I feel it would've lost some of its energy and life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2

Week 9

Week 13, the killing joke response